Raw Chocolate Avocado MousseYum
If you love Nutella, you’re going to really love this Raw Chocolate Avocado Mousse with toasted hazelnuts! This fluffy cloud-like mousse has a deep rich chocolaty flavor and little flecks of toasted hazelnuts.
The glistening creaminess comes from whipped avocado. Yes…I know… I scratched my head the first time I saw it myself. And the first time I made it, I braced myself, prepared my tastebuds for a bumpy ride. Then, I was pleasantly surprised by the complete decadence and lusciousness of this mousse. Now I’m sort of wondering…. where the heck it’s been all my life!
This raw chocolate avocado mousse is so incredibly easy to make, and now whenever I have a couple of avocados that need to be put to good use, I toss them in the food processor and whip up a batch. It makes a really great healthy snack and it’s perfect whenever you’re needing a dose of something chocolate.
Just a spoonful of this healthy chocolate mousse and you’ll be hooked forever! And it packs a big nutritional punch! The heart healthy avocado provides a hefty dose of antioxidants, monounsaturated fatty acids, fiber, more potassium than a banana, and they’re a good source of Lutein and Zeaxanthin which are antioxidants that promote eye health. Cacao is high in magnesium and iron and also contains compounds that may help boost serotonin and endorphin levels.
If you’re not a fan of or have allergies to nuts, simply omit them from the recipe. This incredible chocolate mousse if fabulous either way!
Raw Chocolate Mousse with Toasted Hazelnuts
Yield: 4 servings
Cook Time: 15 minutes plus several hours of chilling in the refrigerator
For the Raw Chocolate Mousse
- 1/2 cup toasted hazelnuts (remove as much of the skins after toasting as you can)
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil, melted
- 2 ripe avocados
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cacao powder (cocoa powder will work as well)
- 1/3 cup almond milk (or coconut milk will work as well), add more if needed
- 1/3 cup pure maple syrup (add more for desired sweetness)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- pinch of sea salt
- Serve with Coconut Whipped Cream, berries, and/or additional chopped hazelnuts
Coconut Whipped Cream
- 1 (14 ounce) can full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated for 24 hours (use only the cream and discard the liquid)
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Mousse
- In a food processor, combine the nuts and coconut oil and process until it's the consistency of a smooth butter. Some flecks of nut can remain.
- Add the avocados, cacao powder, maple syrup, almond milk, vanilla, and a pinch of salt. Puree until creamy.
- Spoon the mousse into 4 small ramekins and chill for at least 1 hour.
- Serve the mousse plain or topped with a dollop of whipped cream, fruit, or chopped hazelnuts.
Coconut Whipped Cream
- Spoon the top solid cream from the can into a mixing bowl.
- Place hardened cream in your chilled mixing bowl. Beat for 30 seconds with a mixer until creamy.
- Add vanilla and pure maple syrup and mix until creamy and smooth - about 1 minute.
- Taste and adjust sweetness as needed.
- Use immediately or refrigerate.