Quinoa and Oatmeal CerealYum
A lot of recipes for breakfast porridge suggest you soak your oatmeal overnight or that you soak your quinoa for two hours or longer so it can sprout before cooking. Except for special holidays or celebrations, I’m not one to really plan ahead for breakfast. During the weekdays – my breakfasts usually consist of a smoothie, yogurt with granola, some fruit or some oatmeal that can cook while I’m drying my hair and putting on my makeup. In other words – my breakfasts typically aren’t labor-intensive. This Quinoa and Oatmeal Cereal cooks up in about 30 minutes and doesn’t require much hand-holding. My kind of breakfast!
After the cereal has finished cooking, you’ll stir in a little vanilla and cinnamon. I’ve added some banana slices and a handful of blueberries (because I’m a creature of habit this way), but you could add your favorite fruits/berries and nuts and seeds. Drizzle a little honey or maple syrup over this breakfast cereal to give it just a touch of sweetness and serve with some almond milk.
You can read more about the benefits of quinoa here.
Having a bowl of this Quinoa and Oatmeal Cereal is a great nourishing way to start your day!
Breakfast Quinoa and Oatmeal
Yield: 4 servings
Cook Time: 20-25 minutes
Total Time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 3-1/2 cups water
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup organic golden raisins
- In a medium saucepan, add the water, quinoa and oats and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cover with a lid.
- Simmer for 25 to 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cinnamon, vanilla and raisins.
- Before serving, reheat cereal in saucepan (if needed), over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding water if needed, until warmed through.
Creamy Black Beans with Coconut Milk Next Post »
Quinoa with Asparagus and Sun-Dried Tomatoes