Quick Pickled OnionsYum
These Quick Pickled Onions come together in just an hour and they instantly upgrade any dish they’re added to (salads, tacos or burgers) or paired with (grilled chicken or salmon).
You will likely find yourself eating these completely addicting Quick Pickled Onions straight out of the jar! Add them to salads, tacos, burgers or pair them up with grilled chicken or salmon. Or…eat them straight out of the jar!
The first time I ever tried pickled onions was at Fig & Olive….a popular restaurant at Fashion Island in Newport. I ordered the grilled thyme chicken paillard…which came with an arugula salad. The arugula salad was a great mix of healthy ingredients…brussels sprouts leaves, haricot verts, radishes, yellow peppers, tomatoes, toasted almonds and …pickled onions. It’s an amazing salad, and I loved it all, but my attention was drawn most closely to and I quickly became obsessed with …. the pickled onions.
Onions are a powerful superfood. They’re part of the allium family of vegetables which include garlic, scallions, leeks and chives. Besides adding flavor to dishes, onions are rich with anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, which strengthens immunity, and may help to lower cholesterol and blood pressure, may help to prevent certain types of cancer, and may help to regulate blood sugar levels. You can read more about the many benefits of the powerful onion here.
Quick Pickled Onions
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 red onion, thinly sliced
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons clover honey (you can use granulated sugar if you prefer)
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 6 peppercorns
- In a medium size glass jar combine the vinegar, salt, honey, bay leaf and peppercorns.
- Stir until the honey (or sugar) is dissolved.
- Add the onion. Place the lid on top of the jar and refrigerate for 1 hour before using.
- Drain the onions before using.