One Pan Pesto Chicken BakeYum
Healthy fast-food! This easy One Pan Pesto Chicken Bake is perfect for busy weeknights. Chicken breasts are slathered with your favorite pesto (I used arugula pesto for this dish), then topped with slices of juicy tomatoes and cheese and baked to perfection.
You’re going to love how easy this One Pan Pesto Chicken Bake is to make. This healthy 3 ingredient chicken recipe is perfect to whip up on busy weeknights.
The chicken for this dish is lightly browned in an oven-friendly pan, then pesto is slathered over the top. I used arugula pesto for this dish, but feel free to use traditional basil pesto, and spinach pesto works just as well. Then add a slice or two (or three) of tomatoes to the top. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese and bake for a good 20 minutes or so until the chicken is cooked through. I used red, yellow and green heirloom tomatoes for this dish, because it makes a colorful presentation, but Roma tomatoes also work nicely.
I tossed in a handful of cherry heirloom tomatoes during the last 5 minutes while the chicken baked. But you could add a mix of sliced zucchini and yellow squash or bite-sized pieces of asparagus to the pan during the last five minutes of baking if you want some veggies to go with this chicken.
Recently a family member asked me for some quick and easy dinner recipes, because their work schedule is pretty crazy right now. So, I have a goal to share more quick and easy weeknight meals in the coming weeks. Of course I’ll keep things on the healthy side!
One Pan Pesto Chicken Bake
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 40 minutes
For the Chicken
- 4 boneless and skinless free-range chicken breasts
- 4 heaping tablespoons pesto
- 2 - 3 organic tomatoes (Roma and heirloom work best)
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup Fontina cheese
For the Pesto
- 2 cups packed fresh arugula leaves (you can use basil leaves)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1/2 cup extra-virgin olive oil
For the Chicken
- Heat the oil in an oven-friendly skillet
- Place the chicken in the skilled and cook on both sides for about 4 - 5 minutes on each side or until lightly browned.
- Evenly spread a heaping tablespoon of pesto on top of each chicken breast.
- Place 2 - 3 slices of tomato on top of the pesto.
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top of the tomatoes and chicken.
- Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through.
- Add heirloom cherry tomatoes to the pan the last 5 minutes of baking. (Optional) Serve with quinoa or noodles.
For the Pesto
- Combine the arugula (or basil)l leaves, Parmesan cheese, nuts, and garlic in a food processor fitted with the metal blade and pulse until the leaves are minced finely.
- Add the olive oil and pulse to blend, stopping to scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Transfer the pesto to an airtight container and cover with a thin layer of olive oil to keep it from browning.