Italian Style Baked ChickenYum
This Italian Style Baked Chicken is loaded with onion, mushrooms, kalamata olives, fresh parsley, basil and oregano, and simmered in a delicious marsala tomato sauce. This is a chicken recipe easy enough to make any night of the week.
This Italian Style Baked Chicken is a delicious hearty meal for cold winter nights! The tender chicken, richly flavored marsala tomato sauce, mushrooms, olives, fresh herbs and melted cheese all marry together nicely to make a hearty chicken dish that plates beautifully. Not only does it look pretty, but it makes your whole house smell warm and cozy.
The prep time is minimal for this dish. You’ll just add all of the ingredients to a baking dish large enough to hold 4 chicken breasts, then you’ll pop everything in the oven to cook for about 45 to 50 minutes.
I like to serve this Italian Style Baked Chicken on a bed of zucchini noodles or fluffy quinoa. Okay, and maybe with an extra sprinkling of parmesan cheese. And of course, garnish with plenty of chopped basil!
The inspiration for this dish comes from this Chicken Marsala Pasta recipe that’s a family favorite and favorite dish to take to potlucks. I don’t do wheat noodles much any more, so I decided to remake my Chicken Marsala Recipe without the noodles.
If you like this easy Italian Style Baked Chicken recipe, you might also like my Enchilada Style Baked Chicken. Both of these recipes are so delicious and easy to make.
Italian Style Baked Chicken
Yield: Serves 4
Total Time: 50 minutes
- 4 Free-range skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 - 10 kalamata olives, sliced
- 6 - 8 brown mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1/2 onion, peeled, cut in half and sliced thin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh oregano, chopped
- 1-3/4 cups canned chopped tomatoes with juice
- 1/2 cup marsala wine
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese, divided
- 1/4 cup shredded mozarella cheese
- Place the chicken in a medium sized baking dish.
- Drizzle the olive oil over the chicken.
- Add the onion, garlic, basil, parsley, oregano, 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, tomatoes, marsala and chicken broth over the chicken.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Bake uncovered on the middle rack at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink inside.
- Remove the baking dish from the oven and add the remaining cheese to the top of the stew.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 5 - 10 minutes or until the cheese begins to brown.
- Garnish with chopped basil leaves.
- Serve with zucchini noodles or quinoa.