Italian Meatball SlidersYum
Savory turkey meatball meets bruschetta. That’s pretty much what these Italian Meatball Sliders are! The fresh organic heirloom tomatoes are simply and quickly pan-roasted in extra-virgin olive oil with a little oregano and salt and freshly pepper.
I always make up extra tomatoes….
The meatballs are the star…but the tomatoes make them a hit! And…the freshly grated parmesan and basil ribbons are the cherry on top. There’s just a wonderful combo of flavors going on with these sliders!
I also like having extra tomatoes so the remnant pieces of grilled baguette have something to play with.
If you’re looking for a fun….healthy…..delicious food to serve for the big game….
These Italian Meatball Sliders are sure to be a hit! And you will hardly spend any time in the kitchen!
If you want a really great salad to serve with the sliders….. I highly recommend my ITALIAN CHOPPED SALAD. It’s also sure to be a hit!!
~ xo Deb
Italian Meatball Sliders
Yield: 8 servings
Total Time: 1 hour
- 1 pound ground turkey
- ½ pound Italian sweet turkey sausage
- 1/2 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 4 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan (more for serving)
- 4 tablespoons whole milk
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 8 slices of Provolone cheese, cut with a round biscuit cutter (save the remaining cheese for another use)
- 1 or 2 baguettes, sliced into 8 2-1/2 inch pieces (I used a La Brea Bakery French baguette)
- 2 large organic heirloom tomatoes (if you use Roma tomatoes - you'll need 4-5 of them), seeded and roughly chopped
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Combine the ground turkey, sausage, bread crumbs, garlic, parsley, Parmesan, milk, egg, salt and pepper in a bowl and mix gently with a fork.
- Make 8 meatballs and flatten slightly with the palms of your hands.
- Lightly oil 2 iron skillets. Place the meatballs in the skillets - 4 meatballs per skillet - and cook over medium-high heat until the bottoms are lightly browned.
- Turn the meatballs over then place both skillets in the oven.
- Cook for 20 minutes until lightly browned.
- Remove the skillets from the oven and place the cheese slices on top of each meatball and return to the oven for another minute for the cheese to melt.
- While the meatballs are cooking
- Lightly brush the baguette slices with extra-virgin olive oil and grill until the bread is crisp with nice grill marks.
- Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil to a skillet. Add the chopped tomatoes. Add the ground oregano, and salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste. Cook quickly for just a minute until the tomatoes are heated through and they start to soften. The olive oil will take on color (and flavor) from the tomatoes.
- To assemble
- Place a meatball on the bottom half of the sliced baguette. Add a heaping tablespoon or two of tomatoes to the top of the meatball.
- Sprinkle the tomatoes with freshly grated Parmesan cheese and add basil ribbons to the top of the Parmesan cheese.
- Serve each meatball with the top half of the sliced baguette.