Easy Breakfast Tostada with Black BeansYum
This Easy Breakfast Tostada with Black Beans can be pulled together in a pinch either for breakfast, or for dinner after a long day after work when you don’t really feel like messing the kitchen up royally.
I happen to love making breakfast for dinner, especially when I’m eating dinner late and I’m tired and want something quick to fill the void. These simple ingredients can usually be found in my kitchen – so this Breakfast Tostada is something I can toss together when there’s not much else going on in my fridge.
You’d think since I have a food blog – I keep things well stocked at all times. But noooo. My kitchen is well stocked for the weekends, but I keep it kind of loose through the week since I never know how crazy busy things will be at work from one day to the next. And I hate waste!!
The thing that I do keep well stocked at all times though – is my big round white fruit bowl. It’s always overflowing with a variety of fruits, especially citrus, which I keep on hand for freshly squeezing the juice for various recipes (especially vinaigrettes). And I always have lemon in my green tea each morning. Thanks to my Meyer lemon tree I always have a supply of juicy lemons at hand.
As for this Breakfast Tostada, I’ve sprinkled Parmesan cheese on top, because I’ve pretty much cut out all cheese from my diet except for an occasional sprinkling of Parmesan. Obviously, feel free to use whatever cheese you prefer.
Easy Breakfast Tostada with Black Beans
Yield: 4 servings
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1/4 cup purple onion, chopped (you can use green onion)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- pinch of onion powder
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 6 free-range eggs
- 2 tablespoons distilled water
- 3 teaspoons coconut oil, divided
- 4 corn tortillas
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 4 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated
- fresh cilantro, chopped for garnish
- Add the chopped tomato, onion and cilantro to a bowl. Season with a pinch of onion powder, salt and pepper to taste.
- Place the drained beans in a small saucepan. Add the cumin, olive oil and 1/4 cup salsa. Cook over medium-low heat just until the beans are heated through.
- Add the coconut oil to a pan. When oil is hot add the tortillas and cook over medium low heat until slightly crisp.
- Crack the eggs into a bowl. Add the water and whisk.
- Heat the coconut oil in a pan over medium low heat. Add the eggs and cook until the edges start to set. Fold the eggs into the center of the pan with a spatula. Continue to fold and blend the eggs until they are cooked but still moist.
- Evenly divide the beans on each tortilla. Then add 1/4 of the eggs, the salsa, cheese and tomato mixture.