Detox Honey Lemon Ginger SlicesYum
There are simple lifestyle habits that can make a tremendous difference in our health, and drinking water daily that is spiked with these Detox Honey Lemon Ginger Slices is one of them.
Our bodies are about 60 percent water, and to maintain optimal health, energy levels and mental clarity, it’s important to keep water consumption flowing. Drinking plenty of fluids (at least 8 glasses a day) is essential for good health. Here are ten good reasons why your body needs those 8 glasses daily.
1. Water increases the efficiency of the immune system – helping to fight infection and ward off disease.
2. Water helps reduce fatigue – it is a main source of energy.
3. Water helps to detoxify by clearing waste from certain parts of the body and transports it to the liver and kidneys for disposal.
4. Water helps reduce the risk of heart attacks and strokes.
5. Water optimizes kidney and liver function.
6. Water dilutes blood and prevents it from clotting during circulation (Blood is normally about 94% water when the body is fully hydrated. Red blood cells are actually “water bags” that contain colored hemoglobin).
7. Water is needed for manufacturing neurotransmitters, including serotonin.
8. Water is essential for the body’s cooling system (sweat).
9. Water hydrates skin to combat premature aging.
10. Drinking plenty of water is key to losing weight
Lemons are an excellent source of Vitamin C , and they contain flavonoid compounds that have immune-boosting, antioxidant and anti-cancer properties. The properties in lemons also act as a blood purifier and improves the body’s ability to get rid itself of toxins. The properties in lemons also help to alkalize the body. Ginger is a potent anti-inflammatory that offers protection against colorectal cancer, it possibly induces cell death in ovarian cancers, and it gives a boost to your immune system.
I use a lot of lemons mixed in salad dressings, squeezed in bowls of soups and cups of tea. I also squeeze it in hot water with some grated fresh ginger and a drizzle of honey (my favorite warm drink to sip on in the mornings), and I love keeping a mason jar in the fridge filled with these Detox Honey Lemon Ginger Slices.
And lately I’ve been keeping a jar of them in the fridge at my work as well. I find that I drink a lot more water during the work day when I have these on hand. I just add a couple of slices of lemon to my glass with a couple of teaspoons of the syrup. This makes plain ol water taste so much more refreshing!! As the lemons and ginger marinate in the honey, it creates a delicious tasting light syrup.
This Lemon Ginger Morning Detox Drink adds turmeric for added detox benefits. It tastes great, it’s loaded with nutritional and detoxifying benefits, and it makes a warm and cozy drink to sip on in the mornings.
Added to water, these honey lemon ginger slices make a tasty detox drink to enjoy daily!
The main source of nutritional information for this post came from “You’re Not Sick, You’re Thirsty”, by F. Batmanghelidj, M.D.
Detox Honey Lemon Ginger Slices
Total Time: 5 minutes
- 2-1/2 large organic lemons, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1 inch fresh ginger, peeled and sliced
- Peel ginger using a knife or the side of a spoon. Cut peeled ginger into slices.
- Rinse the lemons in hot water.
- Cut Lemon in half and then into slices.
- Layer the lemon slices, ginger slices and raw honey in a mason jar. Continue to layer until all of the ingredients are used.
- Squeeze the juice of 1/2 lemon over the lemons for extra lemony tasting syrup.
- Refrigerate to let the lemon slices marinate for at least an hour. The ginger and the lemon will fuse its flavors together in the honey, giving you a delicious immune boosting lemon ginger honey syrup.
- Use 1-2 heaping teaspoons to a glass of cold water or to a cup of hot water. Stir and enjoy.
- Stays good stored in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Keep refrigerated,