Chicken Paillard with Arugula Salad
A few weeks ago I had lunch at Fig & Olive….a fairly new restaurant at Fashion Island in Newport. I ordered the grilled thyme chicken paillard…which came with an arugula salad and I’ve been craving it ever since. This Chicken Paillard with Arugula Salad is my take on things. The arugula salad has a great mix of healthy ingredients…brussels sprouts leaves, haricot verts, radishes, yellow peppers, tomatoes, pickled red onions, toasted almonds and of course….arugula. All lightly tossed in a delicate vinaigrette and draped across a tender skinny piece of grilled chicken.
I marinated the chicken for this paillard in the Garlic Base that I shared a few posts back. The hint of lemon in the marinated chicken mixed really nicely with the little bit of thyme in the vinaigrette.
This Chicken Paillard with Arugula Salad has been my favorite go-to dish lately. It’s quick and easy to make and there’s little mess. And since I’m without a dishwasher right now and my house is still in dissaray from the flood in my kitchen….quick… easy and little mess are words that I’m living by these days. Repairs won’t start for another 2 weeks. Practicing patience these days. Honestly, I think I’m still in a bit of in denial about the amount of work that has to be done to my house. Who would have thought that a 3 year old “KitchenAid” dishwasher could cause so much drama.
I hope you love this Chicken Paillard with Arugula Salad. It’s a light, clean healthy dish….and the pickled onions really make it entertaining! Love the pickled onions!
~ xo Deb
Chicken Paillard with Arugula Salad
Yield: 3 servings
Total Time: 1 hour
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts, pounded thinly
- garlic base (recipe below)
- 1 cup olive oil (use light not extra-virgin)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 10 cloves garlic, smashed with the back of a knife
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 cups arugula
- 8 brussels sprouts, cut stem ends and separate leaves
- 20 haricot verts
- 1/2 yellow bell pepper, sliced thin
- 4 - 6 large radishes, sliced
- 1 cup baby heirloom tomatoes, sliced in half lengthwise
- 1 large heirloom tomato, cut in large wedges
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- 1 small red onion, pickled (recipe below)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon minced thyme
- 1 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1 red onion, thinly slices
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 dried bay leaf
- Marinate the chicken in garlic base for a minimum of an hour in a large baking dish.
- Preheat the grill to high. Remove chicken from marinade and grill for 2 to 3 minutes per side or until golden brown and cooked through.
- Mix all of the ingredients in a blender until somewhat creamy in texture and the garlic is minced into fine bits.
- In a large bowl, combine the arugula, brussel sprouts, hericot verts, yellow pepper, radishes and tomatoes in a large bow.
- Toss with just enough vinaigrette to very lightly coat the salad. Season with a little freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Place each paillard on a large plate. Place some of the arugula salad on top of the paillard and arrange a few pickled onions on top of the salad.
- Sprinkle the tops of each salad with the toasted sliced almonds.
- In a small bowl, combnine the vinegar, mustard, thyme, salt and pepper and whisk to dissolve the salt.
- Slowly whisk the olive oil into the mixture and blend well.
- In a medium size glass jar combine the vinegar, salt, sugar, bay leaf and stir until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the onion. Place the lid on top of the jar and refrigerate for 1 hour before using. Also drain the onions before using.
Oven Roasted French Fries with Kalamata Olive Aioli Dip Next Post »
Gluten Free Strawberry Muffins