Breakfast Cookies with Orange and CranberriesYum
It’s not often, but there are some mornings that I run late for work and don’t have time for a proper breakfast. So, I’ll throw some kale, frozen bananas, berries and some hemp milk in my NutriBullet and call that good. And then there are times, that I’ll plan ahead and make a batch of these Breakfast Cookies with Orange and Cranberries over the weekend so I’ll have something good to snack on with my smoothies.
These breakfast cookies are a little dense and flakey like scones, but these cookies are made with rolled oats and offer a plethora of nutritional benefits, where scones pretty much offer no nutritional value whatsoever. Orange juice and zest give these heart-healthy cookies a refreshing flavor, and of course orange and cranberries go together like peas and carrots. These cookies are a great way to incorporate more oats into your diet, and why that’s a good thing is because oats help to lower cholesterol, it’s a good source of antioxidants, and oats are high in fiber.
I don’t know about you, but I find that I can be fairly contemplative when I bake. For me baking is something that I have to be diligent and attentive with. I’ve burned many a cookie from wandering too far from the timer. So when I bake, I hang out in the kitchen and take in the aroma while I clean up the mess. And while I’m hanging out in the kitchen taking in the aroma – I find that my mind will wander and I end up in a very relaxed and contemplative place. Almost meditative. In the zone! While I was making these cookies I was feeling very grateful for so many things in my life, which made me grateful to a man who mentored me and gave me once-in-a-lifetime opportunities. CB was the best and brightest boss I ever had, and he was such a good friend to me. His advice was always sage, he was always kind and respectful, and the way his mind works is nothing short of brilliant. Truly! To know him is to respect him and to admire him. And for me, to have had the opportunity of working with him and learning from him was such an incredible blessing! (Not many people get to say that about their boss!) I miss working with him and seeing him every day so much!! He retired and moved to Napa, which was a well deserved move!! This is a man that I will always be thankful for having in my life!
So there you have it! That’s what I was thinking about while I was baking these cookies!
Breakfast Cookies with Orange and Cranberries
Yield: 2 dozen cookies
Total Time: 45 minutes
- 4 cups rolled oats, divided
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 packed cup medjool dates
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 3 free-range eggs
- 3 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- zest of 1 small orange
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cranberries
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Pulse 3 cups of the oats in a food processor until almost flour-like
- Transfer all of the oats to a mixing bowl, and add the baking powder, soda and salt
- Places 2 tablespoons coconut oil and the dates in a food processor and process to chop well.
- Transfer mixture to a large bowl. Add the coconut oil, eggs, vanilla, orange juice and zest.
- Stir in the oat flour mixture. Add the cranberries and chopped walnuts.
- Drop by rounded tablespoons on cookie sheet and flatten and shape.
- Bake for 14 - 18 minutes or until cookies are light golden in color.
- Transfer to a wire rack and cook completely.